Monday, January 19, 2009

Do Something Good


Maybe it's the fact that CNN has turned into the 24 hour Inauguration Channel, but I feel a sense of excitement in the air. Not only has optimism returned, but a sense that we should all try to give back and do something good for our environment, our fellow human being and our world. I think about this a lot and I wonder: How? How am I supposed to give back when I can barely handle my own life most days? I would love to work at a woman's shelter or serve food at a soup kitchen, but I just can't right now. Do you feel the same way? I think this is where the internet becomes so valuable.

I know that many of you read Matt's blog. After a lot of planning and some hard work by a lot of people, the Liz Logelin Foundation has been established to help widows and widowers, with children, who may need financial help after the death of a spouse. Other than Matt's blog, I really have no personal experience with widowhood or losing a parent. I think what touches me about this story is the fact that Matt decided to use the recognition that his blog received and turn it into a way to give back. I can't think of a better way to honor anyone's memory than to turn their death into something that helps people.

How can you get involved? First of all, check out the website! There is also a group on Facebook, so if you haven't already joined, please do. You can check back here for some exciting activities that are going to be launched next month. Lastly, of course, you can donate money. Don't think about donating a lot, just think about what you are able to give. Are you debating whether or not to make a trip to the vending machine or to Starbucks? How about clicking on the PayPal link at the foundation's website and donating the money there? There is no amount that's too small and it will go to people who really need it.

Tomorrow is the beginning of something that will change this world for the better. I hope we can all work to make sure that change finds it's way into all of our lives.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Love Matt's blog. Love yours too...

darcie said...

I too feel the sense of excitement - there is too much *crap* out there, one day, one person, one dollar, at a time - together we can make the world, our world, a better place to live. Looking forward to all the great things to come ~