Monday, July 13, 2009

Whatever Works


It was four weeks ago that we we became a family of four and I feel like I am just emerging from the sleep deprived haze of having a newborn. Luke is staying in daycare while I am on leave, so every day it's just me and Emily. I thought I would get a lot more done than I have, but I was unprepared for the exhaustion of having a newborn all day and a 17 month old in the evenings. M has been great, as usual. He has taken on just as much as I have, aside from the nursing, of course. I'm usually too tired to say it, but I would never be able to do this without him.

I am also noticing a big difference in the treatment of child number two. With Luke, everything was examined, obsessed over and discussed. Now, it's all about whatever works. A little formula? Not a problem. Letting Emily fuss a little because I just can't get to her? She'll be ok. Putting the baby in the car seat to sleep? If it means I get a little more rest, then I'm all for it. People like to say that the second kid always gets jipped, and maybe there is some truth to that. I like to think that it has more to do with a more efficient use of limited resources.

If I was more eloquent I could write about what having two healthy children really means to me, but I'm no writer. Instead, I will just say that I am humbled daily by what we have been given. All of the craziness and all of the exhaustion is worth it. Especially when they are both asleep.

12 comments:

Courtney said...

That last line made me laugh out loud. :) Emily is just precious, and it sounds like you guys are really succeeding with your new 4-person family.

So good to get an update on things!

darcie said...

The important thing is that everyone knows they are loved...and that they are fed of course! The rest just sort of falls into (or out of place if you are talking about laundry, dishes, etc)
So happy for the four of you! You'll figure out a routine one of these months -

Aunt Becky said...

Dude. When they're sleeping it's AWESOME. So, so glad that you're all well. Been thinking of you a lot.

AwkwardMoments said...

She is beautiful! I am hoping that it is because the experience with #1 under your belt, there is a relaxed, tired, haze attitude for #2

YES for Sleeping!

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Wow, has it already been 4 weeks? Time flies!

Karen said...

Emily is so beautiful! And I think being relaxed for the second one is normal... you realize what is really important and what you can slack on after the first. Glad to hear you're doing well and that you have some time during the day for just the two of you. ;)

Teal Marie Chimblo Fyrberg said...

I think the second, third...whatever kids get it even better. They get the benefit of the first one "breaking the parents in"...spoken like a true first born:-)

You guys are so awesome! Enjoy! I makes me happy to see such wonderful people as parents.

andrea said...

she is adorable!

Fit & Fierce Mama said...

Emily is adorable! I appreciate reading how it will be when we have another one (eventually).

Anonymous said...

She is so pretty! Thanks for the update!

ryanandjoesmom said...

Glad you are starting to emerge from the haze. She is adorable and you all are doing great!!! xoxoxoxo

ms. c said...

Emily is just gorgeous! How delish. Oh and that cute little outfit... drool...
2 sleeping kids is a great thing, and it sounds like you are doing just fine with Emily!!