Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Whiskey Tango


Thank you so much for your kind words. I cannot tell you how much they mean to me and I feel very lucky to have such a great support system. I spoke with my parents and my brother last night after the funeral. They said it was sad, but good, and that everyone seemed to take comfort from being together. They all went to my other Aunt's house afterwards where there was a lot of food, laughter, and stories. It was very fitting and I think that Aunt J's spirit was there and was happy. What more can you ask for?

Every year my friend L has a huge Halloween party that everyone looks forward to. The costumes get pretty creative and I love seeing what other people come up with. I've been looking for something really good that incorporates my belly, which is pretty visible now. I decided to go as "Miz White Trash". (I normally think those kinds of things are kind of insulting, as if I'm making fun of people who are poor, but in this part of the country there are plenty of people who fall into the WT category who are not poor at all. It cuts across all socio-economic boundaries in T.exas. Also, I decided that maybe I needed to lighten up and have a sense of humor.)

I bought a used prom gown that really doesn't fit and will put some rollers in my hair and generally not make any sort of effort to hide my figure or make myself look, well, like "Miss" anything. As I was thinking about it, I realized what I really was going to be. I am going to be every irresponsible, liquor drinking, cigarette smoking, too young pregnant person I ever read about that made me say, "She can get pregnant, and I can't????" I am going to get an empty pack of cigarettes from someone and stick them in the cleavage that I now have and get an empty liquor bottle and put apple juice in it or something. That should complete the outfit. I know people will laugh, but I also know that there will be just the teeniest amount of bitterness on my part that no one will know about but me. I will also feel a sense of gratitude for my own condition and that the belly under my dress is my own. That is something I could never forget.

Is anyone else going to a party? If so, I would love to hear about the costume you are choosing!

Please go over and see Hope who got some bad news and needs some love. I am so damn sorry, sweetie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That costume will be hilarious! Hope you have a lot of fun!

AwkwardMoments said...

what a funny costume idea!! I am glad your family found comfort from family.

Cibele said...

Loved the idea for your costume. i want to see pictures. Have fun!

Nearlydawn said...

You are going to be so great - I love it. It would be great if you could put on too much mascara and eyeliner too - make it kinda smudgey! :P

I have soooo been thinking of going as a nun. At 20 wks I've got a bit of a belly and it could make for some interesting humor. However, I don't want to offend... I'm like you though - I want to lighten up a bit. However, I don't want God to strike me down for it. So, we'll see. :)

Courtney said...

Play up that belly all you like! You deserve to relish in your bump. :)

Cajun Cutie said...

Sounds very funny. You should post pictures. :) Hope you have a wonderful time. Glad your pregnancy is going well. I am still super excited for you and wish all teh best to you and your family.