Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm Positive

October Rose


I'm not a sunshiny, precious moments type of person (not that there is anything wrong with precious moments, although their big eyes kind of freak me out). My sense of humor could probably be described as a bit sarcastic. The older I get (or feel) the more I have come to appreciate the power of positive thinking. I know that sounds trite, but stay with me. During the whole ttc journey, I had moments of positivity and moments that I thought the world was going to end. I realized that in those positive moments I really did feel ok. Now, with my brother's divorce weighing heavily on my mind, I am trying to harness some of that positive feeling and energy. I realized when I spoke with my brother last week that he was doing the same thing. He was looking ahead to a day when everything wouldn't hurt so much and life would seem normal again. I have decided to try and adapt that kind of thinking into my everyday life. All too often I miss the good things because I am too caught up in the frustrations of traffic, school and daily minutia. One of my favorite books talks about this very idea. It may not be particularly sincere at first, but once you allow it to enter into your being, it becomes a part of you. In short, fake it 'til you make it. I feel like the craziness of life has distracted me from seeing the good that surrounds me. I have a lot to be thankful for. So, I'm going to try this out. Even if my only positive is my nightly glass of wine, I'll make it a point to really enjoy it. I have a feeling that I will find more than just wine, though.

Smile


Some other positive things I have noticed, lately.....

I'm sure you remember that I mentioned the Liz Goodman Logelin 5K and the donations (you can still donate at Matt's blog). Well, Matt had a nice post about how some of that money helped someone who needed it. Go here to read about it.

JJ, who has helped bring together many of the IF bloggers, has just found out that she and Mook will be joining Team Blue! Please go and congratulate her if you haven't already.

Lastly, Teal told me about this site. I can't believe I never came across it, but please go and visit. I hope you can add your own story.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely post, Miss Kate. :-)

Lovely rose photo.

My mom used to say to me endlessly: "A positive approach gets a positive result." Then she would launch into a tuneful renditioin of "Accentuate the Positive." (This, from the crippled orphan, for whom NOTHING had EVER gone right! She seemed a tad NUTS to me!) So I would say, "Okay, I'm POSITIVE I'm gonna screw this up." And she would erupt in gales of laughter.

My mom was ::awesomesauce::.

Caro said...

Good idea. Oh and he is soooo cute! Yay for team blue.

darcie said...

I, like you are now, try and do the same thing. Some days it is hard. Very hard...and all it takes is a quite trip down my blog stroll to realize just how good I have it and to stop my whining. Thanks for reminding me to look for the days sparkles instead of the muddiness!

Aunt Becky said...

My eldest and I discuss this often, since he seems stuck on the idea of a "perfect day." He seems to buy that it's all in his attitude, which is right, and I'm glad. Because I have never, ever had a perfect day. Just a good enough one.

AwkwardMoments said...

I think this is a great idea. You are on to something

Somewhat Ordinary said...

When I was in college I use to keep a journal that I would write at least 5 positive things in. I found it recently and was impressed that at 21/22 I had the ability to do this and at 31 I lost it somehow. Since I've been back at work I've been trying to at least think of the things I'm positive for (mainly my SON and all the things he is learning!).

Marissa said...

Ohhhh the Operation Nice website sounds right up my alley!!

Nice article about Teal too.

I had a friend named Teal in high school. She was in Vegas last time I heard. The only 2 Teals I've heard of so far. ;)

Unknown said...

He is just so cute!!

You're so right...fake it til you make it is sometimes the only way to do it. I find that sometimes being happy is hard, finding that positive is difficult but if you can fake enough eventually it becomes real!

LBluca77 said...

Oh I love this post. It is hard sometimes to always be positive, but posts like this remind us how beneficial it is when we are positive.

Teal Marie Chimblo Fyrberg said...

Fake it 'till you make works everytime. Great post. And your right, that book is one of the most awesome ever.

Vanessa said...

I love this post. I try hard to think positivly about things. I believe more and more each year that it works.
Happy ICLW!