Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Run It Up The Flagpole


I enjoy watching sports. Football (American) is ok and I enjoy watching soccer (my brother is a big Chelsea fan), as well. One sport I really love is baseball. More specifically, I love the C.hica.go Cub.s and the Bo.sto.n R.ed So.x. As I approach the home stretch of our last DIY cycle, I have to turn to my beloved teams for some motivation.

For those of you who don't like or care about baseball, I won't bore you with the details. Basically, if these teams were trying to have babies they would have their feet up in stirrups most of the time. The Sox finally achieved their goal and gave birth to a beautiful championship in 2004. I believe they are trying for a second this year. The C.ub.bies? Well, they have not been as lucky. And, like so many people who are trying, they hate it when people ask, "When are you going to win the championship?" or "Haven't you been trying for a while now?".

As any Cu.bs fan will tell you, losing is no matter because there is always next season. When they do win, a beautiful white flag with a big "W" is run up the flagpole at W.rig.ley and stays there until the next game. As I lay in bed last night, listening to the game (it went 15 innings and they lost - I went to bed in the 12th.) I knew that part of their popularity was their ability to get back up and dust themselves off. Just like all of the amazing women who share their experiences in their blogs, they have determination and they have hope. Even after almost 100 seasons without a championship, there's always next season. That's the attitude I need, only without the 100 years part, of course.

I need the power of Bi.g Pa.pi , the precision of Di.ce-K , and the fielding skills of P.ie . This is it, folks! M and I have to hit this one out of the park, so to speak. It may seem strange to compare ttc with baseball, but it inspires me to think about it this way. I know that this may only be the beginning and that there could be many more months of struggle ahead, but right now I am going to stay positive and try to visualize flying my own "W" flag. No matter what happens I have to remember that there's always next season..er...next month, I mean.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Play Ball!!!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

What a great and positive way to look at things! I hope that your championship arrives very soon and that you can proudly wave your winning flag. :)

Anonymous said...

hee hee, cute post :) not a baseball fan but you made me smile :)

Heres to next season, erm, next month :)

Becks said...

Kate, thanks so much for the postcard - it is so nice to get snail mail.

I loved your analogy of the longhorns being at NASA - I guess they are surviving despite the conditions....a lot like us!

Oh and I think your comparison with baseball is great. I'm a big football (soccer) fan, though not Chelsea...just lowly Blackburn Rovers. I guess to compare my treatment to football - I am trying not to be sent off the field of play in the first minute of the game!

Take care.

JJ said...

Haha, lovely post! I enjoy baseball when Im at the game-and its cute the way you related to hope and life as we know it!

buggsmommy said...

Very cute. Go SOX! :)

hopeful to hateful in 28 days said...

Hi Kate!

What is that statue on your blog? I am intrigued by it everytime I visit you.