Thursday, September 25, 2008

Coming Down

*children mentioned with photos*

It's been an exhausting week. I think that everyone is coming down from the post-Ike insanity and the fatigue is setting in. There are still many people without power and the morning drive is complicated by traffic lights that aren't working. We will survive this, though, and things will eventually get back to normal. For some, there will be a new normal.

We went to Dom's house for our usual Sunday dinner, despite the fact that the house had all of the drywall removed. We ate on the deck with only a few mosquitoes, thanks to the chemicals they have been spraying on everything. It was nice to have a chance to sit and talk. Luke enjoyed it, too.

In the Stroller

Earlier in the day, I walked around our neighborhood and looked at some of the trees that came down in the park. Obviously, some of them were rotting on the inside, already.

Big Tree


It is sad to see the trees laying on their sides, but nature is a vengeful bitch. Maybe it's good to be reminded of that every once in a while. I couldn't help but see some beauty in the landscape of the fallen trees. I wanted to get photos before they took it all away.

Big Tree

Inside

Lately, I've had the odd feeling that time is slipping away. I realized this morning that Luke is seven months old today. When the hell did that happen? He is about to crawl and has started trying to pull himself up on things. Our house is barely adult proof, much less baby proof. I'll add that to my list of things to panic about later.

In the mean time, the temperature has come down slightly and I detected the faintest chill in the air this morning when I left the house. With cooler weather comes a much happier Kate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little announcement:

The Liz Goodman Logelin Memorial 5K Flickr group has over 600 photos!!! Thanks to all of you who took the time to submit them. I am now asking, begging, pleading that you make sure your photo has a location. It can be in the title or the description. All you have to do is change it in your Flickr account and it will automatically change in the group, as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Also, it's not too late to donate! Go to Matt's blog and click on the paypal button in the upper right hand corner. Thank you!!

15 comments:

Mazzy said...

Oh my goodness, the tree!! That is crazy. Nature is wild, right?
Luke looks so darn cute in that photo. 7 months!! Amazing! Time does fly, it's absurd.
The morning nip in the air is to die for. The impending 2 weeks of fall we get are priceless and I relish every moment.

Delenn said...

Wow...7 months. Today, Willow's Halloween costume came. Her first one. My last first one. Time slips away. Enjoy every minute.

Unknown said...

I *love* the tree pix, Kate. Beauty can be found everywhere, if you're lookin' for it. ;-)

Marissa said...

Happy 7 Months, Luke!

"a new normal". i like that. we'd all be better people if we could somehow embrace "a new normal" when life throws us a curve ball. i know i could.

s is for sarah said...

Hey Kate! I clicked over from Matt's blog...I didn't realize that our sons are the same age (mine was 2/22)!

Just wanted to say I am empathizing with you on the whole 7 months thing...I want to freeze time so that he doesn't grow up...or at least long enough for me to baby proof! :)
~Sarah in the ATL

Katrina said...

I hope you guys have a restful weekend!
E. will be 7 months in just over a week; I can hardly believ, we it. I was rocking him to sleep tonight and vaguely recalled when he was a teeny newborn, which seemed like just yesterday.
Le sigh.

Soralis said...

Mother nature sure can be nasty!

They do grow up way to fast don't they! Enjoy!

Teal Marie Chimblo Fyrberg said...

Hang in there Katie Bear. It's Friday!

The Broken Man said...

The trees are beautiful! Hope they don't take them away too fast - they look perfect for stting on and contemplating life.

The broken Man

nancy said...

I think those trees are quite beautiful. I'm glad you took some of those pictures instead of being like most and just shaking your head at the mess.

iclw

Kristine said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly they grow? I can't believe my little one is already ten months and starting to walk. Eeekk!

CappyPrincess said...

Sooo many photos and sooo much damage. Glad to see that the important people in your life are safe though.


ICLW

Aunt Becky said...

That's just wild, Kate. Those pictures are crazy. And Luke? He's so cute that I want to give him a huge hug. I love it!

LBluca77 said...

Wow I can't believe that tree.

Your baby is adorable.

Courtney said...

Your little man is adorable Kate! Time does seem to be quite accelerated these days. Anyone know where the 'pause' button is???