Thursday, September 18, 2008

Home Again

Before I left Bastrop, we decided to walk around a bit. It is a picturesque little town that goes to great effort to preserve its historical look. Main street looks almost the same as it did a hundred years ago. There is even a drug store with a soda counter where you can still get a real cherry coke.

Locke Drug


The decor is sometimes interesting

Flower Bed?

Of course, there is always a Big Tex Martini, if you need a break

Texas Martini


We walked down Church Street and I showed our fellow evacuees some of the big houses

Fancy House

Cartwright House

Haunted
(This house is haunted.)


We even came across a pomegranate tree

Pom


and had a nice walk by the river.

CO River


Our friends that stayed with us also had an Italian exchange student with them. She is here all year and is certainly getting the "experience of a lifetime" that the brochures promised. Luke was smitten and if he likes Italian girls when he gets older, we'll know why...

Flirting

Carlotta and Luke


Now we're home and life is starting to be normal again. We have power, which is very lucky. There are still many people who do not. My parents are coming this weekend to help with the clean up at our house and others who need it. I went to the Seabrook Firehouse last night and helped serve dinner to the Firemen/women and police officers. That area is devastated but has not gotten the press that Galveston has. In Texas, many small communities rely on volunteer fire departments, as does Seabrook. When the electricity came back on, the fires started. I also heard calls from people who injured themselves trying to clean their yards and homes. The officers looked really, really tired. On top of that, a lot of them have water in their own homes and have not had a chance to start their own recovery. This is why I am so thankful to people who are willing to help their community.

There are so many things that happen after something like this. Little things that you always took for granted are now more difficult. For instance, there is no meat or eggs in the stores. There is still very little gas in the area and water and ice leave the shelves as quickly as it gets there. The areas that do have power and supplies are stressed because they are now serving those without power, as well. I brought enough groceries with me to avoid the store for at least a week or two. In the end, we're safe and we can help others who need it. There are people who cannot get to their houses and have not been able to see if they have anything left at all. I consider this an opportunity to think about what is really important in life.

Don't Forget! Sunday is the Liz Goodman Logelin 5K! If you would like to donate to the cause, go here. The suggested donation is $7, but anything is appreciated. The money goes to Matt/Madeline and other young widows/widowers who need some help. We also want your pictures from the walk! Please check out the instructions for submitting photos. I have recently been reminded that we are all in this together. This 5K is a great way to remember that. I hope you'll take time to walk or run on Sunday.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to live in that big white house! Shoot, I'd even take the haunted one!

So nice of you to help out. I hope things get back to normal soon!

Amanda said...

I'm so glad that y'all are back home and that your house is okay and has POWER. A lot of people here still don't have power either, we are lucky ours never went out. My grandparents and aunt and uncle have been told 2-4 weeks before theirs comes back. Yuck.

Good for you to help out where you are needed. I am sure it was appreciated. People often forget to take care of the publc servants who take care of all of us...

Unknown said...

I want to come and live next door to you so we can drink martinis together!!

Marissa said...

welcome home!!

what beautiful pics you got! i love those houses!!

i want a real cherry coke but even more so, one of those martinis. LOL

Marissa said...

hey, adding...

can you pretty-please email me (onecrunchymama@aol.com) the last paragraph of this entry, links included, so I can add it to my blog tomorrow? Yours has all the pertinent info I need and I'd hate to plagerize without permission. LOL!

Chris said...

Glad you're getting settled back in at home and everyone is okay.

Unknown said...

Luke is *so freakin' cute* in his orange-striped outfit!!!

Danielle said...

Hey, Kate! Texas Martini. Yummmmm.

Anonymous said...

Those houses are incredible...a dream of mine to have one of those - on some acreage.

- I am so glad you were spared and so thankful that a kind heart like you is there to help out those that need it - The world needs more of you in it!

Soralis said...

Glad you are home. Wow sounds like quite the clean-up. Good luck!

MissNoAngel (find me on Twitter) said...

Beautiful pics! So glad you had a good time.

Cajun Cutie said...

Those houses are beautiful, Glad you guys got home safely. I understand all to well how media coverage plays a part in who gets help during the disasters. Glad there are people like you around. My dad took the insurance guy by boat to the roof of their house this week. The guy was shocked, not sure if it's because there is still six feet of water in my parents house, or if it's because my little brother's chickens are living on the roof. I think about the eight human talents and that quote a lot these days.

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of Luke sitting on the exchange students lap!! That grin says it all - "Look whose lap I'm sitting on!! Heh heh heh!" It is so adorable!

Mrs Woggie said...

Here from ICLW.

It sounds as though you have been through quite an ordeal recently. I hope the worst of it is over and that some normality can return to the lives of people who were affected by the storms.

It looks like a beautiful little town. Those houses really are beautiful.

Kristin said...

Wow...those pics of your walk through town are fabulous.

I'm glad to hear your power is back on and I hope the area continues to recover.

Cara said...

Wow - what a story and a great attitude to boot! OMG- your little boy is sooooo cute (especially in the arms of the Italian girl!)

Glad all is well and thanks for the great pics...

ICLW